The Village :
Preggio, is a charming little village at 640 meters high at sea level and is still a real piece of tranquility, surrounded by thick forests and chestnut trees which provide him that look healthy, which makes it a popular tourist destination. The ancient Roman Mannerism (III cent.) Which, with its appliances at one time been in possession of Marchesi Bourbon del Monte, in May 1202, was given to the city of Perugia, who by his happy posizionene made one of five rocks which the city had reserved the right to appoint the warden.
Numerous historical events in which, over the centuries, became involved this mountain village, events from which he derived more trouble than benefits. At the center of town, just below the main square, stands the Church of St. Francis. This was built in 1223 by the PP. Franciscans at the Convent (part of the parish house), established by Seraficio founder of the Order in 1217. We can not forget that in the vicinity of Preggio, at the Hermitage Virgiliano lived S. Romuald and, for some time, seems to come back to 1069 also S. Pier Damiani. Just outside the walls of the castle there, and there’s even the venerable church of Madonna delle Grazie, which still preserves a fresco work attributed to Pinturicchio (1498) : Virgin and Child with two angels lateral .
Monuments to visit in Preggio are :
- The Rock of Preggio dating from the tenth century, where now there is a kiosk where refreshment and a sports court where you can play soccer at 5, tennis, and the photos are in the section below Preggio photos and videos;
- The evocative photos of snowy Preggio video ;
- The Church of San Francesco, founded in 1223 by the Franciscan Friars, where in a silver reliquary contains a Holy Thorn which is exposed on the Tuesday of Easter. In the section Video of Sacra Spina can see the “Feast of the Holy Thorn” which was held on 13.4.2009 on the section below description of the church of San Francesco and photos you will find the description of the Church and the pictures for ‘ interior thereof;
- The Church of Our Lady of Grace, founded in 1400, with an altar and a Renaissance fresco attributed to Pinturicchio;
- Romeggio Castle (medieval), takes its name from Romei, pilgrims on their way to the holy places;
- Castle Polgeto (1399), belonged to fuoririuscito Biagio di Buto;
- Bellona Monte Murlo (IV century BC), ruins of an ancient fortified wall which led to an oppidum preomano by noting that the restaurant Bellona, where you can taste the typical dishes of the place;
- La Pineta Col di Campana, from which you can see the Lake Trasimento;